Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- North American term for cotton bud
- ‘Use a cotton swab to apply a small amount of the medication.’
- ‘If you make a mistake, wipe away the pencil mark with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol.’
- ‘It is temperature insensitive, doesn't gum up, and a small dab applied with a cotton swab works to perfection.’
- ‘Draw a white pencil line just beneath the brow line and then blend it with a cotton swab.’
- ‘Get toes ready for color by dipping a cotton swab in rubbing alcohol to get any moisturizer off toenails (polish and moisturizer don't mix).’
- ‘This involves swabbing a square centimetre area of an establishment's food preparation surfaces with a cotton swab to determine the number of viable bacteria present.’
- ‘A cotton swab saturated with 4% ammonium hydroxide was placed in the petri dish and the dish covered.’
- ‘Rinse the site in warm water and gently remove any crusting with a cotton swab.’
- ‘For hard-to-reach areas, use a cotton swab or toothbrush.’
- ‘Areas that are too wet with the turpenoid can be carefully blotted with a cotton swab, or an unappealing value can be lifted with a cotton swab dabbed in turpenoid.’
- ‘Using a cotton swab, apply a few drops of vitamin E from a capsule or a dab of zinc ointment inside the tip of your nose every night before bed until your nosebleeds stop.’
- ‘See a dermatologist to have it injected with a dose of cortisone to take down the swelling, and then conceal it with makeup, using a sterile cotton swab.’
- ‘And vigorous ear cleaning with a cotton swab can promote infection, because the wax that coats the lining of the ear canal is a natural antimicrobial.’
- ‘The authors conclude that use of a moistened cotton swab is an easy, reproducible method of obtaining a fungal culture sample from the scalp of small children who may be frightened by other methods.’
- ‘To remove an unwanted sealant drip, dab a cotton swab in rubbing alcohol and rub it on the drip to dissolve the sealant, working while it's still wet, if possible.’
- ‘It's usually diagnosed during touch testing - pressing on different areas with a cotton swab and measuring response to pain.’
- ‘There are low-tech collection tools such as a cotton swab, and more sophisticated detection tools, including a handheld ultraviolet light unit.’
- ‘Before sending nosebleed-prone kids outside to play on cold, dry days, put a dab of petroleum jelly on a cotton swab and run it around the inside of their nostrils.’
- ‘He pressed a cotton swab to my arm and taped it down.’
- ‘Use a cotton swab to get into the small crevasses.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.