One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The cotton-producing region of the southern US.
- ‘Two decades of rising prices had encouraged many tidewater planters to sell their slaves to new farmers in the expanding cotton belt of Alabama and Mississippi.’
- ‘A few thousand hectares of Muscadine grapes are grown in the cotton belt in the south eastern United States.’
- ‘Long before the ‘Dust Bowl’ conditions of the 1930s caught the nation's attention, he called for diversified farming in the cotton belt and the use of terracing to control erosion.’
- ‘Shortly after his birth (or maybe before, the records are unclear) his father, a lawyer, moved to Columbia County, Georgia, on the Savannah River, in the heart of that state's rising cotton belt.’
- ‘The book is at its best in detailing those institutions, as in the chapters on rural and small-town communities, African Americans in the South's cotton belt, and the sporting and nightlife attractions of New York City and Chicago.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.