Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dish of minced meat topped with browned mashed potato.
- ‘However, I've always found them overly fussy and diverging from the cottage pie of my childhood, so I'd made it my goal to experiment until I found the ideal combination.’
- ‘My selection was the duck cottage pie, which wasn't quite what I expected.’
- ‘Fish and chips, roast rib of beef, cottage pie, potted shrimps, Scotch egg with whisky mayonnaise, egg custard tart - all are revealed in a new and contemporary light.’
- ‘He said she would demand that the leftovers from Sunday lunch were recycled during the week, for the creation of dishes such as cottage pie.’
- ‘Today, I baked a cottage pie - minced beef, carrots, onions, mushrooms and a topping of mashed potato sprinkled with grated cheese.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.