One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dish of minced meat topped with browned mashed potato.
- ‘However, I've always found them overly fussy and diverging from the cottage pie of my childhood, so I'd made it my goal to experiment until I found the ideal combination.’
- ‘Today, I baked a cottage pie - minced beef, carrots, onions, mushrooms and a topping of mashed potato sprinkled with grated cheese.’
- ‘Fish and chips, roast rib of beef, cottage pie, potted shrimps, Scotch egg with whisky mayonnaise, egg custard tart - all are revealed in a new and contemporary light.’
- ‘My selection was the duck cottage pie, which wasn't quite what I expected.’
- ‘He said she would demand that the leftovers from Sunday lunch were recycled during the week, for the creation of dishes such as cottage pie.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.