One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loaf consisting of two round sections of bread, the smaller of which is on top of the larger.
- ‘Free play with our plasticine was fun; we made worms, hedgehogs, cottage loaves and fairy tea sets.’
- ‘There are Chelsea buns, Eccles cakes, tea cakes, cottage loaves and bloomers.’
- ‘To ensure a good shaped cottage loaf the dough needs to be firm enough to support the weight of the top ball.’
- ‘Bread, the staff of life, comes in many different forms from flat up to the enormous cottage loaves.’
- ‘The weathered sandstone pinnacles which adorn the ridge looked for all the world like gigantic cottage loaves piled one on the top of the other.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.