One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loaf consisting of two round sections of bread, the smaller of which is on top of the larger.
- ‘To ensure a good shaped cottage loaf the dough needs to be firm enough to support the weight of the top ball.’
- ‘Free play with our plasticine was fun; we made worms, hedgehogs, cottage loaves and fairy tea sets.’
- ‘Bread, the staff of life, comes in many different forms from flat up to the enormous cottage loaves.’
- ‘The weathered sandstone pinnacles which adorn the ridge looked for all the world like gigantic cottage loaves piled one on the top of the other.’
- ‘There are Chelsea buns, Eccles cakes, tea cakes, cottage loaves and bloomers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.