One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small hospital in a country area.
- ‘I got pills for the knees, and a course of physiotherapy treatment at the local cottage hospital for the hands.’
- ‘It is like a highly modernised cottage hospital.’
- ‘He travelled extensively in the county, operating in the cottage hospitals.’
- ‘I swapped a radiological session at my base hospital for a session at a local cottage hospital just two miles down the hill.’
- ‘It quickly became so severe that a friend drove me to the nearest cottage hospital.’
- ‘It is a long way from being reduced to a cottage hospital, but every specialisation lost is damaging to its future.’
- ‘I believe it has all the attributes of a cottage hospital - a warm welcome, first-class and friendly professional support and a number of characters among the staff.’
- ‘He was in charge of the elderly care unit at the local cottage hospital and did his own obstetric care, delivering many babies.’
- ‘The fact that he could practise obstetrics and continue caring for patients in the cottage hospital gave him considerable pleasure.’
- ‘It was originally just a local cottage hospital before being changed to a maternity hospital.’
- ‘In emergencies it could call on rescue teams, a fire station, an ambulance service, a first-aid clinic, a cottage hospital and a police station with an inspector, a sergeant and seven constables.’
- ‘Jean gave anaesthetics at the local cottage hospital as well as practising and maintaining her special interest in childhood illness.’
- ‘After the army, and a couple of obstetric house jobs, I found myself in a country practice with its own cottage hospital and nine obstetric beds and a turnover of some 240 deliveries a year.’
- ‘Every training ground will have a pharmaceutical wing the size of a cottage hospital.’
- ‘Then she got worse, and I admitted her to our cottage hospital for pain control and rehabilitation.’
- ‘‘We would like to go back to the cottage hospital run by primary care,’ he said.’
- ‘Later in the week, I finished another clinic at a cottage hospital soon after midday.’
- ‘The 112-year-old building, built as a cottage hospital, has 70 patients a day in the physiotherapy department, a day hospital, catering mainly for the elderly, and outpatients clinics.’
- ‘I believe the days of the cottage hospital are numbered and what will be created in its place is a hybrid hospital where some general care will be provided along with some specific care.’
- ‘The new building grows out of the original Victorian cottage hospital which was intended to serve passing riverboat traffic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.