One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A perching bird found in the forests of Central and South America, the male of which is frequently brilliantly coloured.
- ‘Using remote sensing predictions, the researchers calculate the likely range of a rare and range-restricted endemic bird of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, the grey-winged cotinga.’
- ‘A plum-throated cotinga, like the one shown above in a lowland rain forest, is one species of over a thousand that make Peru a birder's paradise.’
- ‘So far the program has proved effective, but it hasn't yet passed what might be called its final exam: the search for the elusive gray-winged cotinga.’
- ‘They say the gray-winged cotinga occupies forest at a higher elevation than the black-and-gold cotinga.’
- ‘Actually finding the cotinga would be a huge step toward establishing the use of computer models as viable tools for determining what areas should be protected.’
Via French from Tupi cutinga.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.