Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in a right-angled triangle) the ratio of the side (other than the hypotenuse) adjacent to a particular acute angle to the side opposite the angle.
- ‘If the tangent of an angle is a/b then the cotangent of that angle is b/a.’
- ‘The first tabulates logarithms of the sine, cosine, tangent and cotangent functions at 1 intervals and shows how to solve triangles using logarithmic functions.’
- ‘The tangent and cotangent came via a different route from the chord approach of the sine.’
- ‘I can't tell the difference between radians, tangents, cotangents, secants, etc.’
- ‘Since we want the cotangent, just take the reciprocal to solve.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.