One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Jewellery made with inexpensive materials or imitation gems.
- ‘On the way through the rest of the stalls Graham caught me fingering through a display of glittery costume jewellery.’
- ‘In 2004 costume jewellery will go wild, picking up on pearl and diamanté and coloured stone large brooch trends from the 50s and 80s.’
- ‘Silver is still desirable, but other metallics and copper tones in costume jewellery are making inroads.’
- ‘A necklace of these beads was the product of great expertise and skill, as well as being a beautiful piece of costume jewellery.’
- ‘She was noted for her outsize hats, costume jewellery and heavy make-up.’
- ‘Then there are the smaller stalls selling everything from bindis to hairpins and costume jewellery of the type more often seen in Bollywood movies.’
- ‘‘I got into costume jewellery by accident,’ he recalled.’
- ‘As part of her start-up marketing strategy, Walsh identified a gap in the local market for affordable costume jewellery.’
- ‘She loved dressing up and wearing her costume jewellery.’
- ‘Pick up costume jewellery, scarves, petticoats, shoes, hats and other gear for a song in your local charity shop.’
- ‘I would describe the earrings as costume jewellery, but the rings are gold and some are quite distinctive.’
- ‘The pair stole treasured costume jewellery belonging to the home's 18 occupants before loading the office safe onto a wheelchair.’
- ‘They'll be wearing the most revealing dresses, the tackiest costume jewellery and the most crippling stilettos - which they will immediately take off and lose.’
- ‘Due diligence had also revealed the design ‘crown jewels’ of British engineering to be mere costume jewellery.’
- ‘The value of costume jewellery lies in the design.’
- ‘Jewellery is also important to Faith and while she has much loved good pieces she enjoys the fun of costume jewellery and making an affordable piece enhance an outfit.’
- ‘Like the casual shoes and the costume jewellery this season, formal footwear are also adorned with chunky beads and sequins, certain to make those hot summer formals sparkle and sizzle.’
- ‘It's here you'll discover the secret of all those elegant women walking their poodles in the park: costume jewellery.’
- ‘The mark-up on cosmetics and perfumes is 50 per cent, while toiletries such as hair care products, baby needs, costume jewellery, sunglasses, lotions and cameras have a mark-up of about 33 per cent.’
- ‘Lisa got some construction paper because she likes crafts and Dana got some tacky costume jewellery because she likes to dress up and look pretty.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.