One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The price at which goods are or have been bought by a merchant or retailer.
- ‘Wine industry sources claimed that there are even larger mark-ups on house wines imported from abroad, on which some restaurants are suspected of charging up to seven times the cost price.’
- ‘They will have access to information like average weekly sales and order history as well as more detailed sales history, cost price and recommended retail price.’
- ‘Any stock that could have been returned has been returned and efforts are still being made to sell stock at or even below the cost price.’
- ‘Essentially, the order prevents retailers undercutting competitors by selling products below cost price.’
- ‘The taxable benefit to the employee is ascertained with reference to the cost price of the vehicle.’
- ‘Irish motorists have called for the removal of the tax, which can add up to 30% to the cost price of a vehicle.’
- ‘When it establishes itself in a new town, it often sells staple foods below their cost price.’
- ‘In order to create the conditions for private capital, the Commission says consumers must pay the full cost price of water.’
- ‘Genuine dumping (selling goods below cost price in a foreign market) is difficult to prove but, like export subsidies, it may distort trade and inflict damage on the recipient country's producers.’
- ‘The apartments will be sold to medium to lower income purchasers at cost price, and will be built on a prominent corner site in the city.’
- ‘They sell them at prices that are more than 10 times the cost price.’
- ‘It was found that most councils neglected to keep complete registers on the cost price and descriptions of individual assets.’
- ‘More obviously, of course, simple disagreement over margins can occur when retailers consider the cost price to be too high.’
- ‘The indirect subsidy covers the difference between a product's cost price and its selling price to consumers.’
- ‘At the auction, where he regularly trades as part his business, out of date equipment is sold at a fraction of the cost price.’
- ‘Because of the considerable impact of distribution costs on the aggregate cost price, it seems important that competition between dealers should also be stimulated.’
- ‘Alternatively, internal transfers of coal could be made at cost price or at market price.’
- ‘Owing to ‘gross human error’ this price was offered at £82 less than cost price, the company explained to customers in an email.’
- ‘A batch of cookies or brownies only costs a few dollars to make but you can probably sell them for 3 or 4 times the cost price.’
- ‘Selling product below cost price in order to gain market advantage is illegal.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.