One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The level of prices relating to a range of everyday items.
- ‘The poverty line does not even account for regional variations in the cost of living!’
- ‘We get increases in line with inflation but inflation and the cost of living never seem to be the same.’
- ‘In theory, high food prices should have pushed up the cost of living by a substantial amount.’
- ‘Property prices and the cost of living are low but the journey time is a a disadvantage, direct flights taking about four hours.’
- ‘It finally took foreign visitors to make waves about the spiralling cost of living here.’
- ‘What will this do to the cost of goods and thereby again to the cost of living?’
- ‘They demanded reasons from the Cabinet for the increases in prices and the cost of living in general.’
- ‘He said the upcoming Budget should not see too much added to the cost of living as the public purse looks healthy.’
- ‘To help achieve these ends, farmers should receive support related to the cost of living or average earnings.’
- ‘When you consider the price of things now and the rising cost of living, anything less is just unrealistic.’
- ‘Adding to all those burdens is the high cost of living and the ever-escalating property market.’
- ‘The main reason for this is inflation, basically the broad measure of the rising price of the cost of living.’
- ‘Prices were high, but commensurate with the inflated cost of living on the Pacific coast.’
- ‘The cost of living would rise and people's standard of living would be eroded.’
- ‘He cites the rising cost of living in the capital as one of the major factors behind the executive exodus.’
- ‘They would not be able to survive on those types of wages, given the cost of living.’
- ‘In addition, the mayor's budget assumes that city workers' wages will not keep up with the rising costs of living.’
- ‘All we are asking for is a decent wage to cover the cost of living as council tax keeps rising.’
- ‘I earn above minimum wage, but it makes no difference, as the cost of living in this country is simply beyond my means.’
- ‘Urban food prices are rising faster than the cost of living and wages.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.