Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The recording of all the costs incurred in a business in a way that can be used to improve its management.
- ‘It is becoming more important for someone on the farm to have the ability to use records for financial statement preparation and for cost accounting.’
- ‘His skill and knowledge in cost accounting and transport were widely recognised and led to his appointment to various Government Committees.’
- ‘We will not enter into a debate as to whether this should take the form of full cost accounting or footnote disclosures.’
- ‘It's a bit like those cost discontinuities you see in economics or cost accounting.’
- ‘The introduction of discounting techniques into accounting was one of the key innovations of the post-war years that helped to construct management accounting out of cost accounting.’
- ‘Time accounting is replacing cost accounting.’
- ‘It becomes apparent that a sophisticated knowledge of cost accounting existed in this company.’
- ‘The evidence provided in this paper shows how cost accounting contributed to the monitoring of managerial performance.’
- ‘Even product and process costing fall outside the domain of cost accounting.’
- ‘The next stage of improving defense management requires decentralizing the pursuit of efficiency on a framework of strategic planning, cost accounting, and performance measurement.’
- ‘The first is authority to ensure the Postal Service's financial transparency by compelling it to disgorge documents and improve its cost accounting.’
- ‘Thus, the aim of this paper is to explore the extent of cost accounting practices and knowledge in 18th century Spain.’
- ‘In other words, historical cost accounting as a global system may be unmanageable and unchangeable.’
- ‘The journals are read in this paper as part of the broader discourse about the role of cost accounting and its relationship to other professionals claiming influence upon this area of practice.’
- ‘In the wake of a spate of bankruptcies during 1997-98, the corporate sector is also emphasizing better cost accounting and more transparent balance sheet management.’
- ‘Mid-level cost accounting, internal auditing and fund accounting professionals are currently sought for industry-based roles.’
- ‘Indeed, the elaboration of public enterprise in the Early Bronze Age led to the innovations of cost accounting and other managerial techniques.’
- ‘We could find no evidence that cost accounting was used to make decisions about the vertical integration of firms.’
- ‘It is reported that the directors and the accountants had a sound knowledge of cost accounting but appeared to lack other managerial skills, thus leading, among other things, to the demise of the company.’
- ‘Interestingly, cost accounting was not used for vertical integration as in the British industrial revolution.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.