One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Russian astronaut.
astronaut, spaceman, spacewoman, space traveller, space pilot, space flyer, space cadetView synonyms
- ‘On-orbit construction began in 1998 and three crews of astronauts and cosmonauts have been living and working on board since November 2000.’
- ‘In the small Fife town of Lumphinnans there is a street named in honour of the Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin.’
- ‘The Russian cosmonaut and the American astronaut today took care of a little maintenance outside the Space Station.’
- ‘Reporters at participating NASA centers will have the first 13 minutes to question the astronauts and cosmonauts.’
- ‘Today the crew of each launched spacecraft is composed of astronauts or cosmonauts drawn from these categories.’
- ‘Astronauts and cosmonauts prepare to share a meal in the Zveda Service Module on the International Space Station.’
- ‘On April 12, 1961, the Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin aboard Vostok 1 lifted off into space to achieve the first Earth orbit.’
- ‘We don't really have much time for a social life - there's a lot of work to get through - but we meet Russian cosmonauts and American astronauts, too.’
- ‘Working closely with IMAX, 25 astronauts and cosmonauts were trained to use the high-tech equipment.’
- ‘Other historical milestones are also being achieved commercially, such as the successful mission of two Russian cosmonauts to the space station Mir beginning in April 2000.’
- ‘Three crews, made up of four American astronauts and five Russian cosmonauts, have called the space outpost home.’
- ‘He will live and work aboard the international space station along with another American astronaut and a Russian cosmonaut.’
- ‘NASA seized the opportunity to partner with the Russians, and as a result cosmonauts and astronauts are living and working permanently on the International Space Station today.’
- ‘Today, astronauts and cosmonauts on the International Space Station can choose from a vast variety of food before their mission to the ISS starts.’
- ‘In its second year of occupancy, astronauts and cosmonauts have conducted 16 spacewalks for maintenance and assembly of the Station.’
- ‘The answers to this and other questions were found by successfully sending animals and then Russian cosmonauts and U.S. astronauts into short spaceflights.’
- ‘Since November 2000 amateur radio equipment has been used by Expedition astronauts and cosmonauts to talk to hundreds of kids in schools around the world, as well as to friends, family and others on Earth.’
- ‘Do we have an option of giving any degree of privacy to this planet's astronauts, cosmonauts, and taikonauts?’
- ‘A Russian cosmonaut and an American astronaut are on a spacewalk outside the International Space Station.’
- ‘The efforts of astronauts and cosmonauts since 1961 are just the beginning of this process.’
1950s: from cosmos, on the pattern of astronaut and Russian kosmonavt.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.