One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An arbitrary constant in the field equations of general relativity.
- ‘Why is the cosmological constant, which characterizes the energy density of the vacuum, so small?’
- ‘We are making fast progress on understanding the implications of the existence of a cosmological constant for quantum gravity.’
- ‘On the plus side, the vanishing vacuum energy that is implied by supersymmetry ensures that the cosmological constant vanishes.’
- ‘Einstein introduced the cosmological constant to his equations of general relativity because he believed the universe was static.’
- ‘Quintessence is dynamic, unlike the cosmological constant, and its average energy density and pressure slowly decay with time.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.