One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The origin or evolution of the universe.
- ‘Standard Big Bang cosmogeny does therefore seem to have those metaphysical implications which some have found so discomfiting.’
- ‘Several philosophical objections and issues have arisen from visitors about it - quite apart from its presupposition of some version of a ‘big bang’ cosmogeny.’
- ‘He was originally thought to be simply a veneration of the concept of air and wind, one of the four fundamental concepts believed to have composed the primordial universe in the Ogdoad cosmogeny.’
- ‘In Hindu cosmogeny, all things proceed toward perfection in cycles of repeated incarnations.’
- ‘Then there is another figure in which the entropy lines for cosmogeny are traced.’
- ‘No, I don't concern myself with the fate of my ideas in the popular press - or in the cosmogenies of lunatics, to be more specific.’
- ‘Both these areas are quite hypothetical, cosmogeny because no existing physical model can accurately describe the very early universe, and abiogeneis because the environment of the young earth is not known.’
- ‘As for cosmogenies, by all means, if I leave things out, correct me.’
- ‘There were at least three separate cosmogenies in Egyptian mythology, corresponding to at least three separate groups of worshippers.’
- ‘As in Blake, Dick's fictional cosmogenies draw from a wide range of sources.’
- ‘This also accounts for the importance of the word and breath in so many cosmogenies, and, by extension, the idea of the creation of the world through the naming of things and the letters of the alphabet.’
- ‘One of the things I don't like about his book is that it begins by outlining a mythic cosmogeny, a mythic beginning of the universe, and then dismissing it in favour of the scientific world view, as though one is redundant.’
- ‘Two hundred and fifty years ago, when the first thoughts occurred in the two competing cosmogenies of Buffon and Laplace, the ideas were met with at best only tepid enthusiasm.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.