One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A variety of wine grape native to the Veneto region of NE Italy, used to make Valpolicella and Bardolino.
- ‘It is made from a blend of late harvested and dried refosco, carmenere and corvina, making it sort of a super-Venetian as they call it on the back label.’
- ‘In Valpolicella they use grapes not likely to be on the Who's Who of Grapes: rondinella, molinara, and the leader of the pack, corvina.’
Italian (feminine adjective), literally ‘raven-black’.
A marine food and game fish of the drum family, found on the Pacific coasts of California and Mexico and sometimes living in fresh water.
- ‘Species to expect include various species of tuna, the odd billfish and in some areas, large inshore corvinas and white sea-bass.’
- ‘Today was a very good day: In 3 hours I got 17 corvinas.’
- ‘Well, you can always take a trip into the ocean to fish for corvinas, soles and sharks.’
- ‘Pintados, pirarucus, tucunarés, corvinas, mandubés, barbados, dorados, mandis and many others crowd the waters of this abundant River.’
- ‘There are bass, halibut, white seabass, shortfin corvina, bonito, barracuda and many other species that will test any angler's skill and fly tackle.’
- ‘It got its start as a fishing camp based around the totoaba, a large corvina fish that spawns in the upper gulf's shallow, sediment-laden waters, and around shrimp.’
- ‘The shortfin corvina was introduced into the Salton Sea in southern California.’
- ‘In addition to the bass and halibut, San Diego's ‘back bay’ area plays host to good numbers of shortfin corvina in the 2-to - 3-pound class.’
- ‘The possibilities of fishing large corvinas, brótolas, small hakes, pejerreyes, rays and chuchos increase considerably.’
- ‘It is possible to catch caimans and turtles in the rivers; the Peruvian Sea is recognized by its production of corvinas, lenguados, anchoveta, bonito, crustacean and shellfish.’
- ‘San Diego and Mission Bays offer outstanding fishing for a medley of inshore species, including spotted bay, sand and calico kelp bass, shortfin corvina, bonefish (yes, the same fish found on Florida flats), halibut, barracuda, bonito and mackerel.’
- ‘Dine on seafood specialties, including the superb ceviche de corvina - raw white sea bass marinated in lime juice.’
- ‘The corvinas more usually seen in the fish market in Aljezur weighed about 7-15 kg, but these were caught by the fishing boats based in Lagos.’
Late 18th century: from Spanish and Portuguese.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.