One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hormone produced by the adrenal cortex. One of the glucocorticoids, it is also made synthetically for use as an anti-inflammatory and anti-allergy agent.
- ‘Stress, physical or mental, results in an increase in the level of ‘fighting’ hormones in the body, like adrenalin and cortisone.’
- ‘People who are constantly under stress have a high level of hormones like cortisone and adrenalin in their blood.’
- ‘They may also administer intravenous antihistamines and cortisone to reduce inflammation of your air passages and improve your breathing.’
- ‘Other treatments include applying an anthralin cream or ointment, cortisone creams, or a minoxidil solution.’
- ‘Pregnancy hormones and increased cortisone cause this type of hair growth during pregnancy.’
1940s: from elements of its chemical name 17-hydroxy-11-dehydrocorticosterone.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.