Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for adrenocorticotrophic hormone
- ‘Receptors for corticotropin and the glucocorticoid hormones have been cloned and mechanisms of action elucidated.’
- ‘Like depression, post-traumatic stress disorder is associated with increased secretion of corticotropin releasing hormone.’
- ‘He wrote, ‘There is no doubt that in the five cases herein reported corticotropin and cortisone brought about changes that could not have been produced so regularly by any other known method of treatment.’’
- ‘The increase in these stress hormones is probably caused by the master stress hormone, corticotropin releasing hormone.’
- ‘In fact, neither cortisol levels at baseline nor response to the corticotropin test were measured to assess for possible adrenal insufficiency.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.