Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A hormone secreted by the adrenal cortex, one of the glucocorticoids.
- ‘Note from the text of the full paper that stress causes the release of the hormone corticosterone which lowers latent inhibition.’
- ‘Upon stimulation, the rats suddenly released the stress hormone corticosterone, very like the cortisol humans release under stress.’
- ‘Melatonin and corticosterone are integral to the regulation of daily activity cycles in birds.’
- ‘Working with mountain chickadees caught in California, he has inserted implants that release corticosterone, a hormone associated with stress.’
- ‘Blood tests revealed comparable baseline concentrations of the stress hormone corticosterone in cautious and bold rats.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.