Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A woman's foundation garment combining corset and bra.
corset, corselet, foundation garment, panty girdleView synonyms
- ‘One of most curious abandoned items was a corselette, a woman's foundation garment, not easily removed.’
- ‘Once we reached our teens many girls wore corsets or corselets under their uniforms to keep their figure in trim.’
- ‘They were also hybridized, with brassière tops being added to corsets to form the corselette, or attached to petticoats, and so forth.’
- ‘Mind you, Elaine C Smith wearing a scarlet latex corselet in her role as Miss Adelaide is worthy even of the Turner Prize.’
- ‘He then removed the corselet she wore underneath, leaving her only in her shift.’
1920s: from corselet (see corselet).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.