Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A woman's foundation garment combining corset and bra.→ corselet
corset, corselet, foundation garment, panty girdleView synonyms
- ‘They were also hybridized, with brassière tops being added to corsets to form the corselette, or attached to petticoats, and so forth.’
- ‘One of most curious abandoned items was a corselette, a woman's foundation garment, not easily removed.’
- ‘Once we reached our teens many girls wore corsets or corselets under their uniforms to keep their figure in trim.’
- ‘He then removed the corselet she wore underneath, leaving her only in her shift.’
- ‘Mind you, Elaine C Smith wearing a scarlet latex corselet in her role as Miss Adelaide is worthy even of the Turner Prize.’
1920s: from corselet (see corselet).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.