Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Analogous or equivalent in character, form, or function; comparable.‘the corresponding Jamaican word is ‘bada’’
- ‘The reactive dyes have been characterized by the corresponding color index names and numbers, the chemical class and reactive groups.’
- ‘To the authors' knowledge, the function of the corresponding genes has not been revealed yet.’
- ‘The port that served the corresponding function in the United States at the time of the famine was New York, not Philadelphia.’
- ‘We cloned the corresponding genes and performed secondary tests to determine their function in chromosome behavior.’
- ‘Whenever it is well formed it shows that the vital energy is flowing smoothly within the person and indicates that the corresponding area of a person's life is functioning soundly.’
- ‘When writing a job description, consider the following examples of job features and corresponding functions.’
- ‘Their tragic flaw, of course, was the relatively arbitrary assignment of these functions to areas, and the belief in the corresponding shape of the skull.’
- ‘Based on statistical data, the scheduler decides whether the application will be hardware accelerated or whether a corresponding software function is used.’
- ‘More than most places, its history is marked by a regularity of tyranny and violence - no doubt the legacy of successive invasions and a corresponding inconstancy of rulers.’
- ‘Touch one of them, and you are immediately taken to the corresponding page and the data-entry controls are enabled for that function.’
- ‘When landlords allow student housing to deteriorate, there is a corresponding decrease in property value that impacts surrounding properties.’
- ‘Without a person developing the corresponding moral character necessary for self-restraint, his liberty is bound to result in the harm of others.’
- ‘If we combine these two assumptions, it can be assumed that everything performs its function only if it has the corresponding excellence and not evil.’
- ‘Just hit the CTRL or SHIFT or ALT button and then the corresponding key to execute the desired function.’
- ‘There may be circumstances when it is important to be able to estimate the distribution function and the corresponding mean and median values parametrically.’
- ‘That uniqueness gives space its own operational characteristics - with the corresponding advantages and limitations.’
- ‘But however familiar nature is, men still feel its transcendent power, along with a corresponding intimation of transcendence in themselves.’
- ‘This choice comes with a corresponding impact on Dahl's character and its portrayal.’
- ‘He is confident that average grades have risen beyond the corresponding rise in abilities.’
- ‘Such an effect suggests that the corresponding proteins are redundant in function.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.