Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Part of the basal ganglia of the brain, comprising the caudate and lentiform nuclei.→ striatum
- ‘Huntington's disease is a fatal hereditary disorder, marked by death of nerve cells chiefly in the corpus striatum, a part of the brain that helps control movement and thought.’
- ‘Another mass of grey matter behind the corpus striatum is the thalamus, which lies in the walls of the third ventricle.’
- ‘These are important striate branches of the middle cerebral artery, destined for the corpus striatum, internal capsule and associated structures.’
- ‘Bridges of gray matter pass across the internal capsule, producing the striped appearance from which the corpus striatum derives its name.’
- ‘Atrophy is most marked in the corpus striatum of the basal ganglia, including the caudate and putamen.’
From corpus and Latin striatum, neuter of striatus grooved.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.