One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The state of being fat; obesity.‘her corpulence is the butt of every joke’
obesity, fatness, plumpness, stoutness, chubbiness, chunkiness, paunchiness, portliness, roundness, rotundity, burliness, heaviness, fleshiness, meatinessView synonyms
- ‘Glasgow and Edinburgh have emerged as the UK's twin capitals of corpulence in a national guide to unhealthy living.’
- ‘Obesity, especially among children, is to be discouraged, but we mustn't get to a point where corpulence is automatically frowned upon.’
- ‘It is common for men of the most unwieldy corpulence to crowd themselves into a chair, and demand to be carried for a shilling as far as an airy young lady whom we scarcely feel upon our poles.’
- ‘Although still a bit on the thin side, Eric was not one to let his body waste into corpulence, as his Father seemed content to be doing in his later years.’
- ‘The surreal corpulence of the boy is a distraction, and when we watch him steal the only pieces of meat from his uncomprehending blind stepsister's rice bowl we are reminded not of Chaplin but of Fellini.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.