One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The state of being fat; obesity.‘her corpulence is the butt of every joke’
obesity, fatness, plumpness, stoutness, chubbiness, chunkiness, paunchiness, portliness, roundness, rotundity, burliness, heaviness, fleshiness, meatinessView synonyms
- ‘It is common for men of the most unwieldy corpulence to crowd themselves into a chair, and demand to be carried for a shilling as far as an airy young lady whom we scarcely feel upon our poles.’
- ‘Obesity, especially among children, is to be discouraged, but we mustn't get to a point where corpulence is automatically frowned upon.’
- ‘The surreal corpulence of the boy is a distraction, and when we watch him steal the only pieces of meat from his uncomprehending blind stepsister's rice bowl we are reminded not of Chaplin but of Fellini.’
- ‘Although still a bit on the thin side, Eric was not one to let his body waste into corpulence, as his Father seemed content to be doing in his later years.’
- ‘Glasgow and Edinburgh have emerged as the UK's twin capitals of corpulence in a national guide to unhealthy living.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.