One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The petals of a flower, typically forming a whorl within the sepals and enclosing the reproductive organs.Compare with calyx
- ‘From each plant one randomly chosen, fresh flower was dissected under a binocular microscope to separate the corolla, androecium and gynoecium.’
- ‘In addition, experimental flowers that matured a fruit (and therefore received a visit) had significantly larger corollas compared with corollas of flowers that did not initiate a fruit.’
- ‘The internal length of the flower corolla was measured from base to opening.’
- ‘In contrast, pollinator observations demonstrated that hawk moths visited flowers with larger corollas, and that the probability of producing a fruit for natural pollination plants increased with corolla diameter.’
- ‘As is now regarded as typical of bat-pollinated flowers, the corolla is sturdy and the nectary disk is large.’
Late 17th century (in the sense ‘little crown’): from Latin, diminutive of corona ‘wreath, crown, chaplet’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.