Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- North American term for cornflour
- ‘In a bowl, combine the egg yolks, egg, maple syrup, and cornstarch and whisk until smooth.’
- ‘Transfer one cup of the mix to a medium bowl, whisk in the cornstarch, and set aside.’
- ‘In a bowl, combine flour and cornstarch; season with salt and pepper to taste and whisk in soda water until smooth.’
- ‘In a bowl, combine the eggs, egg yolks, cornstarch, sugar, and heavy cream.’
- ‘Mix the egg, salt, white pepper, and two tablespoons of the cornstarch in a medium to large bowl.’
- ‘Combine cake flour, cornstarch, baking powder and enough water to make batter the consistency of light cream.’
- ‘In a bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and eggs and whisk until smooth.’
- ‘Bring the remaining sauce to a boil, add the cornstarch and simmer until thick, stirring constantly.’
- ‘When the egg whites are very stiff, add the cornstarch and the vanilla, whisking a few more turns, until firm peaks can be formed.’
- ‘In bowl, whisk together yolks, milk powder, sugar and cornstarch until pale and increased in volume.’
- ‘Combine your dry ingredients (sugar, cornstarch, salt) in a separate bowl.’
- ‘In a medium bowl, combine the cornstarch, brown sugar, apple juice concentrate, and vanilla extract and whisk together.’
- ‘In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and cornstarch, baking powder, cinnamon, and milk.’
- ‘Toss beef with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, salt, sugar and soy sauce and pepper in a glass bowl.’
- ‘The cornstarch and the sugar will thicken it into a luscious sauce as it cooks.’
- ‘Return to the heat; bring to a simmer and add the cornstarch slurry, whisking constantly.’
- ‘In a small bowl, blend the cornstarch with the remaining ¼ cup water, and stir it into the cranberry mixture.’
- ‘Meanwhile, in another medium saucepan, preferably one with a heavy bottom, whisk the eggs, sugar, and cornstarch together.’
- ‘Beat butter and mascarpone in a bowl until mixed, add sugar, vanilla and cornstarch.’
- ‘Add the cornstarch and lime juice, whisking constantly.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.