One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
At an angle of approximately 45°; diagonally.‘he laid the cloth cornerwise on the polished table’
crossways, crosswise, from corner to corner, slanting, slanted, aslant, slant, slantwise, sloping, oblique, inclined, inclining, tilted, tilting, angled, at an angle, cornerwiseView synonyms
- ‘No one can outrun someone by running backwards, so don't try… if you are facing someone and decide to run, step cornerwise back, turning and running at the same time.’
- ‘There at church they all wore bright-colored handkerchiefs, folded once cornerwise and tied over their heads and under their chins.’
- ‘This design shows the Arms of the Company supported by men in armour, with four Knaves of Clubs set cornerwise.’
- ‘First one player then the other places a peg in a hole, each striving to get a ‘mill’ (three pegs in a row but not cornerwise) and also to prevent his opponent from getting a mill.’
- ‘The concept is simple - you have to draw 5 dots in line either horizontally, vertically or cornerwise.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.