Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person whose job is to assist a boxer or wrestler at the corner between rounds.
- ‘His cornermen were unable to stop the bleeding between rounds, and the southpaw fought the entire second round with blood streaming down his face.’
- ‘Everyplace you looked, you'd see cornermen like Charley Goldman, with a stub of a cigar in the corner of his mouth, tending to a fighter.’
- ‘Now Tyson, still minus a chief trainer, must conquer both Etienne's almost supernatural determination and the savvy cornerman Tyson wanted for himself.’
- ‘Although, the boxing rule forbids Bungu to act as a cornerman as he holds a boxer's license, Boxing SA permitted Bungu to be in Funeka's corner during the fight.’
- ‘I'm entering the ring with no robe, just black shorts and my cornermen around me.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.