One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tobacco pipe with a bowl made from a dried corncob.
- ‘No corn-cob pipe is fit for anything until it has been used at least a fortnight.’
- ‘Many people believe that after consuming so much beer one lazy afternoon, one of our founding members became disoriented and misplaced his corn-cob pipe and asked his brethren if any of them had seen it.’
- ‘Id read of the recent modernization of the corncob pipe industry but never could have guessed what was in store for me.’
- ‘Smoothing up the cob on a belt sander will leave you with an appearance very like those commercially made corn-cob pipes and give you some really nice looking floats.’
- ‘Corncob pipes are very light and absorb nicotine and tar, and so will also color as you smoke.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.