One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of bread made from maize meal.
- ‘Any type of bread is great on your feeder tray or tossed on the ground - stale biscuits and bread, crusts, crackers, cornbread, pancakes, bagels, French toast - even doughnuts.’
- ‘Corn flour cannot be substituted for corn meal for cornbread, whereas corn meal cannot be substituted for corn flour for tortillas.’
- ‘The vadai masala, consisting of whole lentils, hot red chillies, onion, mustard seeds and cilantro, was quite crunchy - somewhere between cornbread and spicy falafel.’
- ‘A thicker version is good on warm cornbread or pitas.’
- ‘Guests including Sharon Stone and Christina Aguilera were served southern comfort food including spareribs and cornbread.’
- ‘Southerners added their own slant with cornbread and grits.’
- ‘If you're interested in ham hocks, cornbread, southern funeral repasts, and the history of soul food, she's the expert.’
- ‘But whenever one of these classic New Orleans meals came with cornbread, it was the same sweet, yellow stuff I've always known: Northern-style.’
- ‘The goal was to have them for dinner tonight with some fresh slaw, a sweet corn salad, some good cornbread and beer.’
- ‘I was so happy to eat biscuits and cornbread I nearly yelled ‘Yeehaw!’’
- ‘Or as food ‘eaten all over the country, but with greater frequency in the South’, like cornbread and biscuits.’
- ‘You see - my dad can only cook so much - cereal, Chef Boyardee, meatloaf (surprisingly his meatloaf isn't that bad), tacos, and cornbread.’
- ‘I prepared it the other night, coming home from work: I had cornbread on the mind and I wanted to use up a lonely head of broccoli that was feeling a bit neglected.’
- ‘The itty-bitty biscuits and cornbread muffins remain in fine form, so the arrival of the breadbasket here is something to anticipate.’
- ‘The two finalists are as different as pastrami and cornbread.’
- ‘Dinner consisted of beer, cornbread, a bit of cheese and tortilla chips.’
- ‘The winning dressing is a Southwestern mix of cornbread and chorizo.’
- ‘Better to order the soulful steamed littleneck clams in a broth livened by chorizo sausage, with a clever hunk of grilled cornbread to sop up the juices.’
- ‘We were handed a bowl containing a square of white-corn cornbread soaking up the bacon-flavored pinto bean broth along with a cup of sweet, fresh buttermilk.’
- ‘So cornbread has a special value to me, I call it ‘conversion bread’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.