One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A symbolic or decorative model of a human figure, made of plaited straw.
- ‘Other attractions at the fair will include a Burrell steam road locomotive, a 1908 Marenghi fairground organ, a display of farm tractors dating back to the Forties, a demonstration of corn dolly making and ferret racing.’
- ‘Among the goods for sale will be jewellery, rural arts such as corn dollies, soft toys, paintings, furniture, textiles, glass and ceramics.’
- ‘The dress is intricately pleated and ruched, like unravelling rope, giving her the appearance of a life-sized corn dolly.’
- ‘There will also be live music and a celebration of the English harvest traditions by identifying and sampling English breads and jams, churning butter, making corn dollies and trying out harvest games.’
- ‘It seemed like yesterday that she had met the shy child in her home, holding her small corn dolly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.