One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A symbolic or decorative model of a human figure, made of plaited straw.
- ‘Other attractions at the fair will include a Burrell steam road locomotive, a 1908 Marenghi fairground organ, a display of farm tractors dating back to the Forties, a demonstration of corn dolly making and ferret racing.’
- ‘It seemed like yesterday that she had met the shy child in her home, holding her small corn dolly.’
- ‘There will also be live music and a celebration of the English harvest traditions by identifying and sampling English breads and jams, churning butter, making corn dollies and trying out harvest games.’
- ‘Among the goods for sale will be jewellery, rural arts such as corn dollies, soft toys, paintings, furniture, textiles, glass and ceramics.’
- ‘The dress is intricately pleated and ruched, like unravelling rope, giving her the appearance of a life-sized corn dolly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.