One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small fried or baked cornmeal cake.
- ‘John Wayne would love this bread - a welcome respite from the 175 corn dodgers that Chen Lee packed in his saddle bags in the wonderful movie, ‘True Grit’.’
- ‘Remove the corn dodgers and let cool.’
- ‘Corn was the staple in their diet and they used corn meal to make such breads as hoe cake, corn dodger and Indian Pone.’
- ‘She made the corn dodgers and wrapped them in corn husks.’
- ‘Remove the corn dodgers and let cool on a paper towel, spread with a little butter or molasses, and you have a real southern treat’
- ‘Also called johnny cake or journey cake, hoe cake, ash cake, bannock, griddle cake and corn dodger, these were the common breads.’
- ‘In some parts of the South, these corn sticks are known as corn pone; in other parts, corn dodgers.’
- ‘It is a kind of corn cake, Molly told me, the parent, so to speak, of the corn dodger, and the grandparent of hoecake.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.