One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small fried or baked cornmeal cake.
- ‘It is a kind of corn cake, Molly told me, the parent, so to speak, of the corn dodger, and the grandparent of hoecake.’
- ‘Remove the corn dodgers and let cool on a paper towel, spread with a little butter or molasses, and you have a real southern treat’
- ‘Corn was the staple in their diet and they used corn meal to make such breads as hoe cake, corn dodger and Indian Pone.’
- ‘She made the corn dodgers and wrapped them in corn husks.’
- ‘John Wayne would love this bread - a welcome respite from the 175 corn dodgers that Chen Lee packed in his saddle bags in the wonderful movie, ‘True Grit’.’
- ‘Also called johnny cake or journey cake, hoe cake, ash cake, bannock, griddle cake and corn dodger, these were the common breads.’
- ‘In some parts of the South, these corn sticks are known as corn pone; in other parts, corn dodgers.’
- ‘Remove the corn dodgers and let cool.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.