Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The capacity of the muscles of the torso to assist in the maintenance of good posture, balance, etc., especially during movement.‘skating requires great core stability—strong abs, back, and hips for all of the one-legged moves’
- ‘Like all Pilates sessions, the underlying emphasis is on core stability and fluid, functional strength.’
- ‘Core stability is crucial for injury prevention—anyone who has ever felt the pain of a severe back injury will understand what I am talking about.’
- ‘Third, muscular strength of both lower back and abdominal muscles will provide support and stability for your spine, sometimes known as core stability.’
- ‘Physical conditioning includes the requirement to develop skills not normally associated with aerobic fitness and strength such as agility, balance, co-ordination and core stability.’
- ‘She led practical and progressive sessions on core stability.’
- ‘They're very functional—excellent for helping to develop core stability.’
- ‘Hence, developing core stability is essential to maintaining optimal fitness, injury prevention and good performance.’
- ‘To recap, core stability describes a strong trunk which stays rigid during athletic and everyday activities.’
- ‘My priority was reducing his weight, strengthening his core stability and making sure he remained supple.’
- ‘The transverse abdominus maintains core stability, helping provide support to the spine, rib cage and pelvis.’
- ‘Over the last few years the importance of 'core stability' in athletic training and preparation has been increasingly recognized.’
- ‘So while 50 static crunches can't hurt, they aren't necessarily going to help build your core stability.’
- ‘If technique, flexibility and core stability (abdominal/postural strength) are all good, no injuries should ever arise.’
- ‘It would incorporate co-ordination and isolation skills, as well as learning about the different muscle groups and core stability.’
- ‘Flexibility, strength and core stability are essential pre-requisites for both the dancer and gymnast.’
- ‘Along with defining your buns and the backs of your thighs, you'll develop more core stability, which translates to better posture and stronger muscles.’
- ‘The exercises required for core stability are very specialised and require instruction from a physiotherapist.’
- ‘Choose exercises that place maximum demand on your buttock and hamstring muscles while also challenging core stability.’
- ‘This is but one example of a move that improves strength, power, muscle mass, core stability, balance and overall athleticism.’
- ‘At the same time, however, we've started working for core stability and improved posture.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.