One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
noun & adjective
- another term for Oxfordian (sense 1 of the adjective,
- ‘It stretches the width of the Corallian ridge from Bradenstoke to the edge of Catcomb Wood.’
- ‘The oil was produced from the Lias, migrated upward to the Corallian, which could act as a reservoir because it had the Kimmeridgian, to act as a seal, above it.’
- ‘Originally it had a more natural boundary to the north formed by the Upware Ridge (Corallian Limestone), but a strip between the Ridge and the Fen was reclaimed in the 19th century.’
- ‘They are underlain by 10-20 metres of Kimmeridge Clay resting on the Coral Rag sub-division of the Corallian.’
- ‘Woodland cover tends to be most extensive along the Corallian Limestone ridge in Oxfordshire while, in contrast, the Portland Limestone hills of Buckinghamshire have few large woods.’
- ‘Overlying the Corallian are the marine mudstones and thin limestones of the Kimmeridge Clay, which underlies the Vale of Pickering.’
- ‘These sandstones represent the youngest of the Corallian sequences identified in this study.’
- ‘This case study concentrates on the most common elements of six Corallian associations.’
- ‘Just west of Osmington Mills, heading towards Bowleaze Cove, excellent exposed beds of the Corallian Beds can be clearly seen.’
- ‘Around Cumnor Hurst, a landmark on the ridge cherished by the poet Matthew Arnold, the Corallian limestones are topped by lower Greensand and Kimmeridge Clay.’
- ‘In the revised lithostratigraphy, the Nothe and Ringstead Formations are eliminated, and the Corallian strata are contained within revised Redcliff, Osmington Oolite, Clavellata and Sandsfoot Formations.’
- ‘The presence over much of the Corallian plateau of a tenacious clay means, in the majority of cases, the blocking of incipient solution pipes.’
- ‘The soil is loam and clay on a subsoil of Kimmeridge Clay and Corallian.’
From Latin corallium ‘coral’ (with reference to the coral-derived limestone deposits) + -an.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.