Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An evergreen North American shrub of the honeysuckle family, which has fragrant white flowers followed by deep red berries.
- ‘At first glance, you might think the ghostly white snowberries and the coralberries have nothing in common.’
- ‘Shrubs that will provide food and cover include honeysuckles, snowberries, red and yellowtwig dogwoods, sumacs, coralberries, serviceberries, chokecherries and a wide variety of shrubby plums.’
- ‘Bright red hollies, coralberries and nandinas plus the orange kumquats and pyracanthas are all eye-catching additions to the landscape.’
- ‘Most people find that the flavor of coralberries is very unpleasant.’
- ‘In the northeastern foothills, on relatively dry slopes, bur oak dominates above an understory of hop hornbeam, smooth sumac, coralberry, and poison ivy.’
- ‘Or watch cedar waxwings, by the scores, enjoy a Thanksgiving feast of bright red coralberries.’
- ‘Powdery mildew is continuing to show up on lilacs and snowberries (including coralberries).’
- ‘Heavy pruning to renew growth through sprouting usually controls several types of fungi that infect coralberries.’
- ‘Our own native pests haven't developed a taste for it yet; although if other members of its family are under assault, you can expect coralberry to be victimized, too.’
- ‘There are lighter-pink-fruited cultivars of the native red coralberry and there is a Northern cousin known as snowberry (S. doorenbosii), for its white fruits.’
- ‘I sat down on the step, and I could see them, cleverly hidden among the shadows and the coralberry.’
- ‘With adequate water, coralberry can grow quite large and the habit of producing long stolons, which sometimes are just underground but mostly are right above, tends to create colonies of the plants.’
- ‘West Virginians can take advantage of their native habitat with elderberries and blueberries, coralberries or greenbrier.’
- ‘There seems to be no mechanism to limit self-pollination, and cleistogamous flowers have been reported in cultivated specimens of coralberry.’
- ‘Plants such as the black chokeberry have spring flowers, berries that develop to an attractive blue/black in summer and stunning fall color, likewise with the coralberries, only their berries are a pretty coral to red lasting into winter.’
- ‘The various species of American coralberries & snowberries are sometimes represented as being mildly toxic.’
- ‘We have tons of coralberry growing naturally in our woodland.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.