One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An alto woodwind instrument of the oboe family, having a bulbous bell and sounding a fifth lower than the oboe.Also called English horn
- ‘Fowler is best known as a guitarist, yet has mastered oboe, cor anglais and mandocello.’
- ‘These charming songs exist in two different versions, the first for baritone and string quartet, and the second for tenor and woodwind quartet (oboe, cor anglais, clarinet and bassoon).’
- ‘We also have access to other instruments, including cor anglais, bass clarinet, cello, organ and voice.’
- ‘Stella played all three parts overdubbing oboe, cor anglais and bass oboe.’
- ‘After the cor anglais, the oboe and the clarinet, the wind ensemble sings ‘Alleluia’ under a luminous haze of trills and harmonies in the strings.’
- 1.1 An organ stop with the quality of a cor anglais.
Late 19th century: French, literally ‘English horn’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.