Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Sexual intercourse.‘males may seek copulation with the breeding female’
sexual intercourse, sex, intercourse, lovemaking, making love, sexual relations, anal penetration, sexual penetration, vaginal penetrationmating, coupling, breedingnookybonking, rumpy pumpy, a bit of the other, how's your fatherpata-patascrewing, fuckingshaggingcoitus, coition, fornicationcarnal knowledge, congress, commerceView synonyms
- ‘Due to a purely biological function, a tigress in oestrus goes through an intensive mating cycle that requires, as research indicates, copulation every 15 minutes resulting in 50 or 60 encounters over a couple of days.’
- ‘According to law you've got to disclose such a fact prior to copulation.’
- ‘Same-sex copulation and bonding are common in hundreds of species, from bonobo apes to gulls.’
- ‘In the laboratory, golden egg bugs copulate repeatedly, with copulations often lasting [greater than] 10 hours.’
- ‘Some religious tenets and social conventions ban copulation between unmarried couples or limit coitus to certain postures or positions.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.