One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A beech tree of a variety with purplish-brown leaves.
- ‘To the front of the house is mostly lawn, sheltered by mature trees and shrubs, including a copper beech, weeping ash and rhododendrons.’
- ‘When they got to the corner, she darted ahead and scampered up the copper beech.’
- ‘Council tax payers have now paid for plans being considered for the removal of a beautiful copper beech tree from our village.’
- ‘It was the following comment, relating to the appalling destruction of the copper beech trees in Fulford, that led us to that conclusion.’
- ‘Are we, then, at all surprised that the threat to the copper beech has instigated such passion?’
- ‘He said a copper beech tree would be planted in its place.’
- ‘The copper beech, estimated to be 300-years-old, partly destroyed 10 garages in the exact spot where the flats once stood.’
- ‘In the case of the Lincoln copper beech, experts believe the main tree died from changes in local land conditions.’
- ‘Trees, including copper beech and mountain ash, are planted around the lawn area at the base of the garden to give a sense of scale.’
- ‘All afternoon she sat, chain-smoking under a copper beech tree until one by one, the night set out its stars.’
- ‘So the green fields vanished, the traffic increased, and the big copper beech on the pavement outside the house was occasionally hung with boys.’
- ‘To the right, the view takes in the valley: in the mature copper beech, you may notice a large steel circle.’
- ‘Cutting over 60 yards of boundary hedge consisting of varying lengths of copper beech, laurel and privet is becoming an increasingly daunting task as the years pass.’
- ‘There's this immense old copper beech on the north side of the house that was perfect for climbing, too.’
- ‘He said about two-acres of mature, ash, sycamore copper beech and oak trees were felled.’
- ‘As two trees - an English oak and a copper beech - flourish and grow in their Recreation Ground, the residents of Long Compton will be able to recall the happy occasion of the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth.’
- ‘Now it turns out the copper beech was only l40 years old.’
- ‘In front of the house is a large field with copper beeches in opposite corners and curving stone walls aligned to the gates of the old walled orchard below.’
- ‘The realignment clearly identifies the removal of the group of trees including a number of copper beech, lime and chestnut trees, which have been described as glorious during the summer months.’
- ‘And a good copper beech, nearing maturity, is likely to be damaged during construction.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.