One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A beech tree of a variety with purplish-brown leaves.
- ‘To the front of the house is mostly lawn, sheltered by mature trees and shrubs, including a copper beech, weeping ash and rhododendrons.’
- ‘All afternoon she sat, chain-smoking under a copper beech tree until one by one, the night set out its stars.’
- ‘Council tax payers have now paid for plans being considered for the removal of a beautiful copper beech tree from our village.’
- ‘He said a copper beech tree would be planted in its place.’
- ‘He said about two-acres of mature, ash, sycamore copper beech and oak trees were felled.’
- ‘Are we, then, at all surprised that the threat to the copper beech has instigated such passion?’
- ‘Cutting over 60 yards of boundary hedge consisting of varying lengths of copper beech, laurel and privet is becoming an increasingly daunting task as the years pass.’
- ‘To the right, the view takes in the valley: in the mature copper beech, you may notice a large steel circle.’
- ‘It was the following comment, relating to the appalling destruction of the copper beech trees in Fulford, that led us to that conclusion.’
- ‘When they got to the corner, she darted ahead and scampered up the copper beech.’
- ‘Trees, including copper beech and mountain ash, are planted around the lawn area at the base of the garden to give a sense of scale.’
- ‘There's this immense old copper beech on the north side of the house that was perfect for climbing, too.’
- ‘Now it turns out the copper beech was only l40 years old.’
- ‘The realignment clearly identifies the removal of the group of trees including a number of copper beech, lime and chestnut trees, which have been described as glorious during the summer months.’
- ‘The copper beech, estimated to be 300-years-old, partly destroyed 10 garages in the exact spot where the flats once stood.’
- ‘In the case of the Lincoln copper beech, experts believe the main tree died from changes in local land conditions.’
- ‘So the green fields vanished, the traffic increased, and the big copper beech on the pavement outside the house was occasionally hung with boys.’
- ‘As two trees - an English oak and a copper beech - flourish and grow in their Recreation Ground, the residents of Long Compton will be able to recall the happy occasion of the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth.’
- ‘And a good copper beech, nearing maturity, is likely to be damaged during construction.’
- ‘In front of the house is a large field with copper beeches in opposite corners and curving stone walls aligned to the gates of the old walled orchard below.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.