Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A tall, open-topped, cylindrical concrete tower, used for cooling water or condensing steam from an industrial process.
- ‘Causes suggested include industrial equipment such as pumps, fans, electrical installations and cooling towers - and domestic appliances such as fridges or even fish tanks.’
- ‘These turbines are taller than the cooling towers at Drax Power Station and almost twice the height of York Minster.’
- ‘A wastewater treatment system resupplies toilets and provides make-up water for the cooling tower.’
- ‘The disease is contracted by breathing in mist from contaminated water sources such as cooling towers and air conditioning.’
- ‘If you want to avoid big ugly cooling towers then the nuclear plant needs a large water source.’
- ‘On the horizon, at ten, twelve and one o'clock are clusters of cooling towers, each with a dark plume, a spooky symmetry of warming.’
- ‘The cooling water is circulated to cooling towers above ground to remove the heat.’
- ‘Clouds from the looming vase-shaped cooling towers blocked the sun, wires audibly sizzled with electricity, a conveyor belt rattled.’
- ‘The horizon was punctuated by four distant patterns of cooling towers, but try as we did we couldn't pick out a hint of York.’
- ‘This means that the plume from the cooling tower is evaporated water.’
- ‘In Germany, four nuclear power plants cut production drastically to avoid releasing super-heated water from cooling towers into rivers.’
- ‘Mr. Ryan submits that installation of a cooling tower control panel is an extra and claims a cost of $6,366.96.’
- ‘When temperatures climb above 40 degrees, the cooling towers release hot air from the facility.’
- ‘In many power stations the heat produced by burning gas to make electricity is allowed to escape into the atmosphere though cooling towers.’
- ‘There are no minimum qualifications for water consultants who test cooling towers.’
- ‘With its two great circles of cooling towers steaming away, and its mighty central chimney spouting a faint haze of smoke, it is truly monumental, like a kinetic modern Stonehenge.’
- ‘In the shadow of four concrete cooling towers - almost 400 feet each - this squat earth-tone building sits shuttered.’
- ‘All water used for cooling towers, landscaping irrigation and toilet flushing is recycled water.’
- ‘Experts are examining water systems, particularly those where warm, stagnant water is found such as hot water tanks, cooling towers, whirlpool spas and air conditioning and plumbing systems.’
- ‘Leaves, dust, dirt and other contaminants easily enter condenser water systems through the cooling tower.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.