One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A broad conical hat as worn by labourers in some Asian countries.
- ‘Our young guide is beautiful and elegant, standing there in the pelting rain in a full-length pale blue gown, with water pouring off her coolie hat.’
- ‘We are strongly reminded of the two beggar ladies from the previous afternoon, on receiving their new coolie hats.’
- ‘I sure hope so because I doubt that today's edition could be any more obvious without resorting to coolie hats and 60's soundtracks.’
- ‘The restaurant owner, a former social worker, gives us a couple of particularly finely made coolie hats and asks us to pass them on to anyone in the city who we think looks particularly deserving of them.’
- ‘Here we float on bamboo rafts past fishermen in coolie hats and sleek, grey-brown water buffalo, standing knee-deep to drink between ploughing shifts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.