One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A box or cupboard for storing food, cooled by strips of wetted fabric.
- ‘There have been recent efforts to revive the use of Coolgardie safes in order to reduce the carbon footprint of our high energy input lifestyle.’
- ‘Everyone knows that food storage was a problem for Aborigines and indeed for the colonists until the invention of the Coolgardie Safe and eventually the ice chest.’
- ‘Their collections of bark huts, harvesting machines, Coolgardie safes, mining implements, and kitchen utensils conveyed, at least to modern eyes, a sense of the hardship and simplicity of pioneer life.’
- ‘Australia was the source of the first refrigeration system, the Coolgardie safe.’
- ‘One invention, the Coolgardie safe, depended on the evaporation of water from the surface of hessian, which was fixed to the frame of a kitchen cupboard.’
1920s: named after Coolgardie, a town in Western Australia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.