Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for thalassaemia
- ‘This condition can range in severity from mild to life-threatening; the most severe form is called Cooley's anaemia.’
- ‘Each year, almost 100,000 babies are born with thalassaemia, also known as Cooley's anaemia.’
- ‘A 5 year old child with Cooley's anaemia has been successfully treated in Italy using cord blood stem cells from his new born twin brothers.’
- ‘Funds were raised in April for research on Cooley's anaemia.’
- ‘Beta-thalassaemia, also known as Cooley's anaemia, is also a severe disease with dependence on regular blood transfusions from early life.’
1930s: named after Thomas B. Cooley (1871–1945), American paediatrician.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.