One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rigid insulated container for keeping food and drink cool.
- ‘After a moment's panic a rummage through the cupboard revealed a cool box which should be just the thing.’
- ‘For a picnic, chill the strawberries and cream separately, take them along in a cool box, and assemble them on site.’
- ‘He opens the cool box and starts to fillet our catch.’
- ‘In any available space, women squat next to plastic cool boxes offering cold drinks, beer and strong, dark rum.’
- ‘There are plenty of cool boxes (a fitted feature in all the safari cars) for those who like a cold beer after a hard day's drive or bike ride.’
- ‘It's one of those insulated cool box things with gel-pack slabs you put in the freezer for a couple of days before your shopping trip.’
- ‘For further executive car luxury, Travel Assistant fits between the rear seats and includes folding tables, an electric cool box, cupholders and a DVD player holder.’
- ‘A whopping 19.76 per cent of people never use a cool box to carry food to a picnic or barbecue and 13.73 per cent do not know when high-risk foods were cooked so it is therefore no surprise that food poisoning cases are increasing.’
- ‘And to further compound Mr Dixon's misery thieves smashed his VW camper van and stole equipment, including tents, a barbecue and a cool box worth £500, the following afternoon.’
- ‘Out of the cool boxes would flow wine, beer and soft drinks, followed by a feast served on leaf platters, which we'd cast adrift when we'd finished.’
- ‘We stop at a small riverside beach for a picnic that the guides have transported in cool boxes strapped to their kayaks.’
- ‘Now he will be making sure that he packs that lucky cool box when he sets sail on his next expedition.’
- ‘Inside the cool box, we packed, more or less at random, the picnic plates, a saucepan and the second-worst frying pan.’
- ‘When we got off the boat we carried our cool box onto the beach and put it inside our straw hut.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.