One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rigid insulated container for keeping food and drink cool.
- ‘In any available space, women squat next to plastic cool boxes offering cold drinks, beer and strong, dark rum.’
- ‘Out of the cool boxes would flow wine, beer and soft drinks, followed by a feast served on leaf platters, which we'd cast adrift when we'd finished.’
- ‘There are plenty of cool boxes (a fitted feature in all the safari cars) for those who like a cold beer after a hard day's drive or bike ride.’
- ‘He opens the cool box and starts to fillet our catch.’
- ‘A whopping 19.76 per cent of people never use a cool box to carry food to a picnic or barbecue and 13.73 per cent do not know when high-risk foods were cooked so it is therefore no surprise that food poisoning cases are increasing.’
- ‘For a picnic, chill the strawberries and cream separately, take them along in a cool box, and assemble them on site.’
- ‘It's one of those insulated cool box things with gel-pack slabs you put in the freezer for a couple of days before your shopping trip.’
- ‘Now he will be making sure that he packs that lucky cool box when he sets sail on his next expedition.’
- ‘And to further compound Mr Dixon's misery thieves smashed his VW camper van and stole equipment, including tents, a barbecue and a cool box worth £500, the following afternoon.’
- ‘Inside the cool box, we packed, more or less at random, the picnic plates, a saucepan and the second-worst frying pan.’
- ‘When we got off the boat we carried our cool box onto the beach and put it inside our straw hut.’
- ‘For further executive car luxury, Travel Assistant fits between the rear seats and includes folding tables, an electric cool box, cupholders and a DVD player holder.’
- ‘We stop at a small riverside beach for a picnic that the guides have transported in cool boxes strapped to their kayaks.’
- ‘After a moment's panic a rummage through the cupboard revealed a cool box which should be just the thing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.