Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cooking unit, usually with hot plates or burners, built into or fixed on the top of a cabinet or other surface.
- ‘The home I'm buying has electric ignition, rather than pilot lights, on most of the gas burning appliances - the furnace, the cooktop and the oven - but not the water heater.’
- ‘At the core of the new plan is the work area, which includes double sinks, side-by-side wall ovens mounted under the cooktop, and a built-in refrigerator arranged near a center island.’
- ‘An electrically operated countertop containing a sink and cooktop allows the user to set the counter at the exact preferred height for any given task.’
- ‘The round butcher block between the cooktop and the sink, for instance, could have set the couple back quite a bit.’
- ‘With a cooktop, a dishwasher, and an under-counter refrigerator, the kitchen is fully functional.’
- ‘And we actually introduced some stainless shelves over there by the cooktop area.’
- ‘Open storage above the ovens and below the cooktop let her grab a pie tin or skillet without opening a cabinet door first.’
- ‘Most conventional cooktops are made of porcelain enamel which is very durable.’
- ‘Buyers who want an island cooktop should make sure that the island is at least 60 inches long.’
- ‘A major flaw in the old kitchen was the side-by-side configuration of the cooktop and double ovens, with no counter space in between.’
- ‘Notice, too, how the serving side of the island hides the cooktop, making it easier for the cook to conceal messy food preparation.’
- ‘Also, leave extra electric cable when installing electric wall ovens and cooktops.’
- ‘The room's sink, dishwasher, cooktop, and refrigerator mean the clients don't have to subsist on takeout meals.’
- ‘Do not rest cooking spoon or pan cover on the cooktop.’
- ‘Our question is, what natural type of cleaner would you suggest that is non-abrasive to stainless steel cooktops?’
- ‘Barbie doll-size kitchens will have just two-burner cooktops and overhead combination convection/microwave ovens.’
- ‘For the sink you'll need supply and drain lines, and for the cooktop a ventilation system-either an overhead unit or a downdraft model.’
- ‘Boil corn on one of the two-foot-square cooktops and deploy the optional grill kit to sear salmon steaks on the other.’
- ‘Almost half of all homeowners would like an island cooktop in their kitchen.’
- ‘Refer to appliance installation instructions to determine proper procedures for removing a cooktop or other built-in appliance.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.