Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cooking unit, usually with hot plates or burners, built into or fixed on the top of a cabinet or other surface.
- ‘Also, leave extra electric cable when installing electric wall ovens and cooktops.’
- ‘Almost half of all homeowners would like an island cooktop in their kitchen.’
- ‘Refer to appliance installation instructions to determine proper procedures for removing a cooktop or other built-in appliance.’
- ‘Boil corn on one of the two-foot-square cooktops and deploy the optional grill kit to sear salmon steaks on the other.’
- ‘Our question is, what natural type of cleaner would you suggest that is non-abrasive to stainless steel cooktops?’
- ‘And we actually introduced some stainless shelves over there by the cooktop area.’
- ‘The home I'm buying has electric ignition, rather than pilot lights, on most of the gas burning appliances - the furnace, the cooktop and the oven - but not the water heater.’
- ‘An electrically operated countertop containing a sink and cooktop allows the user to set the counter at the exact preferred height for any given task.’
- ‘Buyers who want an island cooktop should make sure that the island is at least 60 inches long.’
- ‘Barbie doll-size kitchens will have just two-burner cooktops and overhead combination convection/microwave ovens.’
- ‘Do not rest cooking spoon or pan cover on the cooktop.’
- ‘At the core of the new plan is the work area, which includes double sinks, side-by-side wall ovens mounted under the cooktop, and a built-in refrigerator arranged near a center island.’
- ‘A major flaw in the old kitchen was the side-by-side configuration of the cooktop and double ovens, with no counter space in between.’
- ‘The room's sink, dishwasher, cooktop, and refrigerator mean the clients don't have to subsist on takeout meals.’
- ‘For the sink you'll need supply and drain lines, and for the cooktop a ventilation system-either an overhead unit or a downdraft model.’
- ‘Open storage above the ovens and below the cooktop let her grab a pie tin or skillet without opening a cabinet door first.’
- ‘Notice, too, how the serving side of the island hides the cooktop, making it easier for the cook to conceal messy food preparation.’
- ‘The round butcher block between the cooktop and the sink, for instance, could have set the couple back quite a bit.’
- ‘With a cooktop, a dishwasher, and an under-counter refrigerator, the kitchen is fully functional.’
- ‘Most conventional cooktops are made of porcelain enamel which is very durable.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.