One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Relating to or denoting a procedure whereby food is cooked and refrigerated by the manufacturer ready for reheating by the consumer.‘cook-chill food’‘cook-chill processes’
- ‘Danny Morgan, director of purchasing for York Health Trust, said the hospital had had cook-chill facilities installed last year capable of delivering high-quality food to outside organisations.’
- ‘I know it is committee chairman Coun Bob Fletcher's belief that cook-chill will be better than having a cook working on the premises.’
- ‘Mould-ripened cheeses (such as Brie and Stilton), soft boiled eggs, unpasteurised dairy food, pâté, ready-washed salads, cold prepared meats and cook-chill meals may all contain harmful bacteria.’
- ‘Before April 2002, the food system was decentralized and was not cook-chill.’
- ‘She believes the current cook-chill methods where food is transported from a factory in Colchester 150 miles away before being reheated at the GWH could prove to be fatal due to several crisis points on route.’
- ‘The key to in-flight excellence, it seems, is choosing dishes that will survive the rigours of the cook-chill process - and after that, it's down to presentation.’
- ‘We get choice and quality using cook-chill food.’
- ‘As home cooking dies, replaced with tasteless, additive-ridden, cook-chill plastic, our taste buds are losing what little discrimination they might have had.’
- ‘I had broken the story on Monday that City of York Council was considering buying cook-chill food from York District Hospital to give to residents in its elderly person's homes, with some of the homes' own cooks facing the chop.’
- ‘Council chiefs issued a tough taste challenge when the Evening Press attacked plans to give cook-chill food to residents in elderly persons homes.’
- ‘Of course, light pastry doesn't work well in cook-chill but that is why each hospital will have to make food which fits the local choice and budget.’
- ‘And as for cook-chill meals, they are an insult to the elderly people who are going to have to eat them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.