Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A nuclear reactor that converts fertile material into fissile material.
- ‘The use of breeding or converter reactors would change considerably the above picture.’
- ‘Chapter 7 reviews the possible role of advanced converter reactors as an intermediate step between today's thermal reactors and future fast breeder systems.’
- ‘The material has a proven use in breeder and converter reactor systems.’
- ‘This is because advanced converter reactors are optimised to achieve high conversion ratios and, in the case of heavy water moderated variants, low fissile inventories.’
- ‘A catalytic converter assembly includes two converter reactors connected one after the other in the exhaust gas flow.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.