Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating or belonging to a convent.‘the conventual life’
cloistered, cloistral, claustral, canonical, monasticalView synonyms
- ‘Conversely, the estate infrastructure which supported conventual establishments attracted scant attention, and even 30 years ago when James Bond began to gather material little had been done.’
- ‘As her conventual discipline requires, she yields to the pain, accepting it as what God is asking of her.’
- ‘This spread eastwards to affect the whole island and has left a haunting legacy of late medieval conventual ruins.’
- ‘The conventual buildings are strung out along a narrow ridge above the water, supported but also overshadowed by solid rock.’
- ‘Rome's supremacy in metalwork had already been affirmed when the conventual church's lavish new high altar was installed in 1686.’
- 1.1 Relating to the less strict order of the Franciscans, living in large convents.
- ‘The Conventual Franciscan Friars are followers of Francis of Assisi.’
- ‘These different viewpoints become more pronounced over time and alongside the Conventual tradition there emerged a number of reform communities.’
A person who lives in or is a member of a convent.
nun, novice, abbess, prioress, mother superior, reverend motherView synonyms
- ‘The conventuals print lots of books, mainly in Church Slavonian, because Orthodoxy in America still grows.’
- ‘Proximity to the parish brought conventuals closer to the everyday concerns of churchgoers.’
- ‘The Observant tactics were to use the secular powers to deal with their enemies amongst the conventuals.’
Late Middle English: from medieval Latin conventualis, from Latin conventus ‘assembly, company’ (see convent).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.