One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The movement caused within a fluid by the tendency of hotter and therefore less dense material to rise, and colder, denser material to sink under the influence of gravity, which consequently results in transfer of heat.‘the final transfer of energy to the surface is by convection’‘upward convection in the troposphere carries water vapour and sulphur dioxide above the clouds’
- ‘Heat is exchanged between the body and its surrounding environment by physical transfer involving conduction, convection, and radiation.’
- ‘No convection, therefore, occurs between or within solids.’
- ‘One possibility that must be considered is that the heat from the waste package could induce convection of the fluids within the host rock and enhance flow rates in the vicinity of the disposal.’
- ‘While convection could involve solid transport, the most important cases of convection involve fluid transport.’
- ‘This is the best time to avoid turbulence either from possible thunderstorms or heat convection from the sun.’
- ‘The rays of the sun heat the tropics, and this causes convection to occur.’
- ‘Heat will only leave the container by radiation, convection and conduction if the temperature of the container is higher than the surroundings.’
- ‘Many clouds form as a result of warm and moist air rising - convection.’
- ‘The eastward movement of the low-pressure convection area results in drought conditions in Australia, Indonesia, Africa, and India.’
- ‘Heat gain or loss results from four heat exchange processes - convection, conduction, radiation and evaporation.’
- ‘In addition to carrying heat away from the ground, convection causes clouds, thunderstorms, and hurricanes to form.’
- ‘This energy is transported outwards by convection and radiation until it reaches the surface, where the temperature is believed to be 5,800 degrees Celsius.’
- ‘The air in the lower atmosphere is being mixed via convection, which is a result of sunlight hitting the ground.’
- ‘This concept of air movement, called natural convection, is an integral part of all successful solar heating installations.’
- ‘Humans have several avenues of heat loss available to them: conduction, convection, radiation and evaporation.’
- ‘Nor did they understand how the insulated walls of the cooker diminished conduction and convection of the heat inside the unit.’
- ‘In convection heat is transferred through air or fluid circulation.’
- ‘So unlike marble, the main cooling process for carpet is not conduction, but convection.’
- ‘When the winds encounter these warm surface waters, they rise with convection.’
- ‘There are only 3 ways that heat can be transferred - by conduction, convection, or radiation.’
Mid 19th century: from late Latin convectio(n-), from Latin convehere, from con- ‘together’ + vehere ‘carry’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.