One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Time spent recovering from an illness or medical treatment; recuperation.‘a period of convalescence’count noun ‘I had a long convalescence ahead’
recuperation, recovery, return to health, process of getting better, rehabilitation, improvement, mending, restorationView synonyms
- ‘Recovery is mostly uneventful but convalescence is prolonged with generalized weakness, fatigue and depression.’
- ‘It is important to remember that it is a very serious condition and that recovery and convalescence can take time - months and years, rather than weeks.’
- ‘The hospital is no longer a place for convalescence.’
- ‘Apart from a deep cut in his left arm, he recovered quickly and was discharged from the field hospital after a week of convalescence.’
- ‘Adults with disability or conditions such as alcoholism may also require extended convalescence and careful discharge planning.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.