Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Time spent recovering from an illness or medical treatment; recuperation.‘a period of convalescence’[count noun] ‘I had a long convalescence ahead’
recuperation, recovery, return to health, process of getting better, rehabilitation, improvement, mending, restorationView synonyms
- ‘Apart from a deep cut in his left arm, he recovered quickly and was discharged from the field hospital after a week of convalescence.’
- ‘Adults with disability or conditions such as alcoholism may also require extended convalescence and careful discharge planning.’
- ‘The hospital is no longer a place for convalescence.’
- ‘Recovery is mostly uneventful but convalescence is prolonged with generalized weakness, fatigue and depression.’
- ‘It is important to remember that it is a very serious condition and that recovery and convalescence can take time - months and years, rather than weeks.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.