One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Failure of an injured party to act prudently, considered to be a contributory factor in the injury which they have suffered.
carelessness, lack of care, lack of proper care and attention, dereliction of duty, non-performance of duty, non-fulfilment of duty, remissness, neglectfulness, neglect, laxity, laxness, irresponsibility, inattention, inattentiveness, heedlessness, thoughtlessness, unmindfulness, forgetfulnessView synonyms
- ‘Whether a plaintiff is guilty of contributory negligence is a question of fact.’
- ‘In respect of the second flood, the claimants were not guilty of contributory negligence.’
- ‘That, of course, does not mean that the appellant was guilty of contributory negligence.’
- ‘Negligence, or contributory negligence, will suffice either to defeat the claim or to reduce the award of damages.’
- ‘The amount of the judgment entered at trial reflected the reduction made on account of the plaintiff's contributory negligence.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.