Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Distinguish between (two things) by contrasting them.‘we do not know exactly when the common law and statute law began to be contradistinguished’
- ‘It is important to understand, however, that (for Plato at least) the rational part of the soul is not to be identified with what Hume called Reason and contradistinguished from the Passions.’
- ‘In his article he contradistinguishes Europe and the West, while ably tying in the Lithuanian case.’
- ‘A judge may exercise out of court all the powers expressly conferred upon a judge as contradistinguished from the court.’
- ‘The privileges and immunities of citizens of the United States, as contradistinguished from citizens of a State, are chiefly defined in the first eight amendments to the Constitution of the United States.’
- ‘This report attempts to disprove the existence of an international code of diplomacy by contradistinguishing diplomatic practices between the North and the South.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.