One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Distinguish between (two things) by contrasting them.‘we do not know exactly when the common law and statute law began to be contradistinguished’
- ‘It is important to understand, however, that (for Plato at least) the rational part of the soul is not to be identified with what Hume called Reason and contradistinguished from the Passions.’
- ‘This report attempts to disprove the existence of an international code of diplomacy by contradistinguishing diplomatic practices between the North and the South.’
- ‘In his article he contradistinguishes Europe and the West, while ably tying in the Lithuanian case.’
- ‘The privileges and immunities of citizens of the United States, as contradistinguished from citizens of a State, are chiefly defined in the first eight amendments to the Constitution of the United States.’
- ‘A judge may exercise out of court all the powers expressly conferred upon a judge as contradistinguished from the court.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.