Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or involving contracture.
- ‘Upstream mutations that result in partial exon skipping have been reported previously, including in the human autosomal dominant disorder congenital contractural arachnodactyly.’
2another term for contractual
- ‘Total contractural foreign investment at the end of the month was US $6.53 billion, while actual foreign investment was US $4.7 billion, he said.’
- ‘I've heard, though, that a lot of title designers find the genre very challenging - insufficient compensation, debilitating legal and contractural restrictions, and general lack of respect.’
- ‘This time, millionaire owners and millionaire players can't agree on a few contractural issue.’
- ‘But thanks to an oddball contractural agreement, the show has been playing in the UK since last fall, and the episodes aren't terribly hard to find online.’
- ‘As previously reported, the date for its opening is said to be December, several months later than the company anticipated, although the contractural opening date is March 2004.’
- ‘Although he took a writing credit on each song, Clark didn't actually compose; rather, his name was on the songs as a contractural obligation with the members of the group.’
- ‘Funding priority within the organisation is now being given to projects where there are contractural obligations.’
- ‘He exercised his contractural right to demand a trade, but he might opt to return rather than forfeit his existing contract by choosing free agency.’
- ‘Contractual and career obligations create uncertainty about player loyalties, as professional athletes jockey for career advancement, taxation advantages and contractural stability in the short period they have in the limelight.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.